My 6 Steps to Dealing with Info-Hoarding
I am sure I am not the only one out here, guilty of hoarding too much information. If the things in my head manifested into physical objects, it would look like an episode of Hoarders.
I pride myself on being good at research, learning new things and figuring things out on my own. I am an avid YouTube watcher. A professional pinner and binge on Blogs often. Unfortunately for me this only adds to my frustration, overwhelm and anxiety.
As a result I end up with new ideas, tips and more saved articles than the law should allow. Some how I went from motivated about 2016 to feeling like there were too many thoughts and ideas to process. Then it hit me. I have been watching WAY too many YouTube videos. When I decide I am going to do something I watch every single video and read every article I can find on the topic.
If you suffer from information overload and too many ideas and lack of action try these ideas I came up with:
- Take a break from YouTube (listen to good music instead)
- Do not take in any new ideas until you can take actions on the original ones.
- Stay away from Pinterest too! Its just as bad. More and more ideas that sit idle that you never come back to. JUST STOP! It will be there or a newer better version will be there later. (this applies to YouTube too!)
- Make a short list of the most important areas of your life and set one goal for each of them. (ex. Spiritual, Family, Marriage, Business, Finance, Health, Hobbies, etc...) try to limit it to 3-5 areas so not to get overwhelmed again.
- Once you have a goal for each of these areas create small task and steps to get them done. (This isn't new information, but its worth telling you again)
- If you get a new GREAT idea you don't want to forget. Write it in your planner, journal, etc... once you complete the goal in the area it belongs in then work on it. But not before you finish what you committed to do.
No one wants to be a "Jack of all trades but Master of none." I am looking forward to the feeling of completion, success and following my goals through to the end.
As I said before. This is my year of Consistency! I have to make conscious decision to silence the noise and distractions. What are your distractions? How do you pull yourself out of the never ending cycle of taking in TOO MUCH INFORMATION?